Parish Vocation Representatives
The Role of the Parish Vocation Representative
The role of the parish is critical in building a culture of vocations in the Archdiocese of Washington and the wider Church. The Vocation Representative works with the Office of Priest Vocations to help ensure that the parish sees the promotion of vocations as a primary objective in their pastoral plan. The Vocation Representative is encouraged to actively participate in the following objectives:
- Ensure proper communication between the Office of Priest Vocations and the parishes.
- The pastor should approve any actions performed by the vocation representative. Distribute the materials sent from the vocation office in your parish. Parishes are encouraged to have a definite spot(s) in a good location of the Church entrance, parish center or school to display vocation information and to build a culture of vocations in our Church. The office is happy to re-supply materials at the request from a representative.
- Send reminders to parish bulletins, parish schools, religious education office, youth ministry office, parish council, etc…on upcoming vocation related events.
- Promote vocations through programs in your parish.
- There are a variety of vocations programs that can easily be implemented in a parish (see vocation representative binder for ideas). Always seek the approval of your pastor before starting a program. A discussion at your parish council to see which programs are best for your particular parish is an excellent way to begin.
- Vocation Representatives are encouraged to start (or support) a vocation committee in the parish. Assistance is available through the Office of Priest Vocations.
- Parish Vocation Representatives have a particular responsibility themselves to pray for vocations to the priesthood and religious life, and to pray for those in formation.
- Praying for vocations on a regular basis is an easy and effective way to promote vocations. Representatives are encouraged to ensure that there is an intention for vocations at Mass, promote participation in the Blessed Teresa of Calcutta Vocation Society and increase prayer for vocations before the Blessed Sacrament during Eucharistic Adoration.
For more information about becoming a Parish Vocation Representative, please contact your pastor or the Vocations Office at (202) 636-9020.
To register for this year's Parish Vocation Representatives workshop, which will be held on Saturday, September 17, please click here.